Friday, October 30, 2009

Books Bought October

It's always dangerous posting the books you purchased in a certain month when there's two days left in that month and opportunities abound. But what the heck... Here are the books I've bought (so far) in October:


Audrey's Door (2009) - Sarah Langan

My Halloween read (or one of them) for this year. I enjoyed Langan's The Keeper a couple of years ago and thought it was time to read her latest. I've heard some good things about the book from several people, but what really sold me was the book trailer. Whew!

Mass Market Paperback; Price = $4.79



A Quest for More: Living for Something Bigger Than You (NF 2007) by Paul David Tripp

My men’s group from church is reading this one. We meet every other Friday morning. At 6:15AM. (There’s coffee, that’s how.)

Trade Paperback; Price = $12.23



Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels (NF 2008) - Kenneth E. Bailey

My friend Jim S. recommended this one. Bailey (who holds degrees in Arabic Language and Literature, Systematic Theology and a doctorate in New Testament) explores how the people of Jesus’ time and culture would have understood His teachings. So far I’ve only read bits and pieces, but what I have read is fascinating.

Trade Paperback; Price = $17.16



Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (NF 2008) - Francis Chan

Cindy and I have our little rituals. When we were first dating and would see movie previews at the theater, she'd say, "Will that be worth seeing?" I'd give an immediate thumbs up or down. She no longer has to ask; I just automatically give the thumbs up/down. She does the same thing when I ask if I'd like the book she's currently reading; just a nod or shake of the head. When I asked her about Crazy Love, she said "You really need to read this." So I bought it.

Trade Paperback; Price = $8.99



The Space Between: A Parent’s Guide to Teenage Development (NF 2009) - Walt Mueller

Sent to me after I made a donation to the Center for Parent/Youth Understanding (CPYU).

Trade Paperback; Price = $0

Total Expenditures = $43.17

Next Time: What I actually read.

No comments: