Tuesday, February 02, 2010

The End Begins Tonight



With both anticipation and trepidation, I await tonight's season opener of the sixth and final season of Lost. I missed the first two seasons, caught up to speed on DVD, then watched Seasons 3-5 as they aired. I guess you could say I was fascinated with Seasons 1 and 2, was a little disappointed in the strike-interrupted Season 3, engaged once again with Season 4, and often quite confused with Season 5. I still think it's a good show and maybe even a great one, depending on how they end it.

One of my concerns is all the loose ends hanging around. They are legion. My friend John and I always talk about how shows shouldn't even hit the air unless the writers have the entire thing mapped out, saying "Here's the show from beginning to end: four seasons (or five or six, or whatever)." But I know television doesn't work that way. I just like to know that the writers aren't flying by the seats of their pants, that they have a plan and they're sticking to it.

So many shows have started well and have not been satisfying over the long run, especially at the end (X-Files). And some shows are just cut off in midstream (Firefly, Carnivale). So when the writers of Lost say that this is indeed the end, I'm hoping they know what they're doing.

'Cause I sure as heck don't.

1 comment:

John said...

Have you learned nothing from Alias? JJ Abrams can't be trusted. This is a grudge that carries itself.

Still, I am interested to see how Abrams et al. play this knowing that this is their last chance to tie up loose ends and play a little with very high expectations. It is quite a challenge, and I do hope he pulls it off. If I does, I still won't trust him.