Thursday, October 11, 2007

Prizes, Awards and Just Showing Up

Doris Lessing has just won the Nobel Prize for literature. The only Lessing work I've read is Briefing for a Descent into Hell, which is cited in David Pringle's Modern Fantasy: The Hundred Best Novels.

I'm sure this prize will cause Lessing's stock to rise and her readership to expand, at least while she's in the news. I should probably re-read Briefing or seek out some of her other works. It'll be interesting to see how many of her works are reissued in light of the award.

*************************

Speaking of awards, do they have any influence at all over what you read? I suppose it all depends on the award. I probably wouldn't read the Winner of the 2007 Stinko Award, but then again, I might not read the Booker Prize winner if it didn't appeal to me. I remember talking to someone at a World Fantasy Con who said, "Don't read the novel that wins. Read the nominated ones that didn't win." It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to read 'em all, but (unless you're Harriet Klausner) who has time? And if most book awards are like the Oscars, not only does the "best" one rarely win, the really good ones sometimes aren't even nominated. Just go with your gut feeling. Usually reading the opening paragraph (or page) tells me everything I need to know.

***************************

Samuel Delany has been showing me (through his book, not personally) what's wrong with my writing. For that, I'm thankful. And yes, learning can be painful. But things are progressing, albeit slowly. I only have three stories in the pipeline right now, and it'll be awhile before number four is ready, but that's okay. Slow progress is better than none at all.

3 comments:

John said...

Among the various things I have taped above my monitor to spur me along, the current one reads, "Slow and steady win the race." Sometimes I don't buy that, but in general I try to temper my expectations with it.

Andy Wolverton said...

I should probably do the same. I mean, I've really only been doing this for a few years. Then again, I'll be 50 before you know it...

John said...

Raymond Chandler didn't have a story published until he was 52, after his career in oil was wiped out during the Depression. Just proves it's never too late to do anything.