Monday, October 22, 2007

Writing Forum, Story Progress

The writing forum for the youth at my church is off to a good start. For the past two weeks we've had some really good stuff happening with these writers. The forum is largely based on the adult workshops I've led with DC Writers Way for the past few years. The main purpose of both the workshop and the forum is to get writers to tap into their creativity through "free-writes," allowing them to write without self-editing during a series of exercises. While they might sometimes think of this as "off-the-cuff" writing, I think they're discovering that they have some pretty good ideas inside them waiting to be let loose. I'm really enjoying it and hope they are as well.

********************************

Most of my "free" time this past week has been devoted to writing and not so much reading. In fact my "Books Read" for October is probably going to be painfully low, but the writing has really taken on a new direction. I remember a couple of years ago being able to write and not realize that two hours had gone by. That's happening more and more, plus things are starting to open up more in the revision process.

Is it still work? You bet. Hard work. But I love it.

No comments: