Tuesday, October 02, 2007

September Books Read

BOOKS READ

The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate (2007) - Ted Chiang

Okay, I know it's only 83 pages, but it's still technically a book and a good one.

Leadership (NF 2002) - Rudolph Giuliani

I doubt I'd ever vote for the guy, but I admire how he gets things done.

The Imago Sequence and Other Stories - (2007) - Laird Barron

An amazing collection, possibly the best of the year. Absolutely top-notch writing.

The Sun Also Rises (1926) - Ernest Hemingway

Hands down my favorite Hemingway characters. The Great Gatsby may be considered the Greatest Novel of the 1920s (and it is great), but give me this one any day.

Parable of the Sower (1993) - Octavia E. Butler

So maybe the main character Lauren is a little unbelievable for a teenager, but this one's still a great read. Pay attention, Oprah!

Aegypt (The Solitudes) (1987) - John Crowley

A real mind-blower, but worth the work.

Speak (YA 1999) - Laurie Halse Anderson

I saw the movie several days before I read the book. Both are powerful, both are recommended.

Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections Between Sexuality And Spirituality (NF 2007) - Rob Bell

Always controversial, but you can't deny Bell's always interesting.

Reassuring Tales (2006) - T.E.D. Klein

I wanted to like this collection, but I'm afraid only three of the stories really worked for me.

Butchers Hill (1998) - Laura Lippman

A good Tess Monaghan novel, but not the home run Lippman usually hits.

The Servants (2007) - Michael Marshall Smith

A subtle, quiet little novel that could almost fall into the YA category. Good stuff.

That's it for September. Go read something.

2 comments:

John said...

When I read Gatsby and The Sun Also Rises for the first time in high school, I liked the Hemingway so much better but couldn't ever figure out why. I've thought about this a lot, and I think part of it is that Gatsby reads like a novel, that is, it is built to achieve certain narrative ends. TSAR seems much more organic and authentic to me. A big part of that is simply the difference between Hemingway and Fitzgerald, I think, but it has always made TSAR resonate with me more.

Andy Wolverton said...

I agree. Fitzgerald's characters seem to be there to advance the story and make the author's point. I know that sounds obvious, but Hemingway's characters are the story, they are the point. Jake, Brett, Mike, Bill, Romero (Robert not so much), are all people I want to watch closely. They're fascinating.