Wednesday, October 10, 2007

To Con or Not to Con?

For the first time since 2004, I won't be attending the World Fantasy Convention next month. Money is one reason, but there are others, which I'll cover in just a moment. Instead, I plan to attend nearby Capclave, as I did last year. Although certainly not comparable in scope with WFC, Capclave is overall a pretty good con. Plus it's close. And cheap.

I'm not sure how I feel about the big cons. WFC is the only one I've attended, but I've attended three times. The first time I was coming off Clarion in Tempe in 2004. (It worked out well since I was also able to visit family in Phoenix.) It was a great con, but even in the company of several of my Clarion buddies, I didn't quite feel right. Several of my instructors were there, introducing me to editors and other writers, some of whom seemed to be thinking anyone who'd just come out of Clarion should have at least a novel or part of a collection sitting around ready to be published. To be fair, they probably didn't think that at all, but just the opposite. But the mind can do funny things, right?

When I think about it, sf/fantasy cons are a lot like those conventions I went to as a band director. You'll find people there who don't care who you are, where you're from, what ratings you got at festival the year before - they'll be glad to engage in friendly conversation, maybe even over a drink or two. And you'll also find people who won't even acknowledge that you share the same planet until you've made your first superior ratings, and even when you do, there's no guarantee that any acknowledgment is forthcoming.

I've experienced some of both at cons. Don't get me wrong, I've had a great time at every con I've attended. But part of me thinks I probably shouldn't attend another "big" con for awhile. Should I wait until I have something published in a prominent, established market? Or until I have a novel published? Would it matter? Should I just think, screw 'em and go anyway?

Several times I've also been faced with the "Writer or Fan?" dilemma. Yes, I'm a writer, I'm even a published writer, but published in small markets you've probably never heard of. Yes, I'm a fan and there's a definite element of excitement in meeting a writer whose work you've enjoyed. So are you writer or fan? Both?

Right now I'm at a point as a writer where I'm trying to work out a lot of fundamental issues in my writing. Sometimes I think I've got to improve as a reader before I can improve as a writer. Sometimes I don't think I know the difference between a noun and a verb. At times like this, I think it's probably not a good idea to be hanging out with the big guns. But maybe on the other hand, that's exactly where I should be. I don't know.

But for now, the best (and most economical) thing for me to do is read and write like a madman. And spend a few hours at Capclave and just have a good time. The last time I checked, the nametags don't say "Writer" or "Fan."

1 comment:

John said...

The last time I checked, the nametags don't say "Writer" or "Fan."

True. I have no convention expectations other than to hang out and soak it up, whatever "it" is. The music conventions that were the worst for me were the two TMEA's and one TBA that I "worked," first trying to get a job and then as a road guy for Mr. E's. This learned me one immutable thing: conventions are best for those with no agenda (except perhaps to buy things, be it books or new band uniforms). I recently went with my editor to the DC Money Show, where he gave a couple of presentations, and got to see that side of conventioning for the first time. Not nearly as dynamic or pressurized as I thought.

Capclave is going to be my only convention this year, too. Actually, because of the publication schedule for work, I may never make it to another WFC (last year was an anomaly: I had arranged to go to WFC before I got the new job and my editor was gracious about my prior commitment). Anyway, I'm looking forward to this weekend.