Thursday, April 29, 2010

Books Bought April


The Skylark (2010) - Peter Straub

I was so zipped up after reading the slimmer version of the same novel A Dark Matter that I ordered the longer (200 pages longer, to be exact) version, The Skylark. Straub never ceases to amaze me. Creepy, supernatural, ultra-well-developed characters and a story you think about for days (or weeks) afterward. More Straub, please.


Mirror Kingdoms: The Best of Peter S. Beagle (2010)

I've never read a Peter S. Beagle story I didn't like. Every time I finish one, I think, "Man, I should read more stuff by this guy." Now I can.


Planetary Vol. 2: The Fourth Man (GN 2001) - Warren Ellis, John Cassaday

The Planetary saga is now complete, but I've only read Volume 1. Time to catch up.


Kane Vol. 1: Greetings from New Eden (GN 2002) - Paul Grist

This book was highly recommended in Kennenburg's 500 Essential Graphic Novels, but I've never encountered anyone who'd read it. I figured since I picked it up at a used bookstore for store credit, it wouldn't exactly send me into depression if it's not all that.


Gregor the Overlander (J-Fic 2003) - Suzanne Collins

Orangerful has lately been singing (well, okay, speaking) the praises of this series and since I really like Collins's writing in The Hunger Games series, picking this one up on store credit was a no-brainer.


Kafka on the Shore (2005) - Haruki Murakami

A World Fantasy Award winner from a few years back. I listened to this one on audio a couple of years ago and was utterly captivated. You can't really talk about plot when discussing Murakami; just hang on and enjoy the surrealistic ride. Store credit - Cost: nada.


Zeroville (2007) - Steve Erickson

My favorite novel from 2007, one I wanted to own as soon as I read it. An ex-seminary student with a tattoo of Montgomery Clift and Elizabeth Taylor on his bald head arrives in Hollywood in 1969, obsessed with the movies. A wild ride that I hoped would never end. Can't wait to revisit it. Another store credit "purchase."


Hellboy Library Edition Volume 3: Conqueror Worm and Strange Places (GN 2009) - Mike Mignola

I've been on quite a Hellboy kick lately. I've borrowed the first two library editions from (where else?) the library and enjoyed them enough to know I'd like to own them. This volume came up on a Scratch & Dent sale at Things From Another World at half-price, so that was all the incentive I needed. Mignola rocks.

That's what I bought in April. Really, that's all. At least I think it is. Hey, what's this package on my desk?

No comments: