Thursday, January 05, 2006

Word Count and Texas Football

Yesterday was pretty busy. I only got a little over 300 words in, but made up for it this morning by putting down 1700. It was great to have 1700 words spill out (somewhat easily), but I don't want to have to play catch-up too many times.

I didn't watch the game, but was glad to see Texas beat USC (University of Spoiled Children) on the news this morning. I'm glad because I think the Longhorns finally deserve the recognition they've unjustly received for years. We lived in Austin for a year and I got so sick of all the UT fans, local sports radio guys, and the alumni. (Excuse me, not the alumni, but the "Texas-Ex" people, as they call themselves. Listen, if you graduated, you're an alumnus. If you dropped out, you're an ex-student. Get your terminology and your window stickers right.) Anyway, I'm all for giving a team their due when they deserve it and finally Texas does. Congrats, Horns. At least ONE Texas team experienced success this season. Right, Tuna?

4 comments:

John said...

Ever the contrarian, I wanted USC to win--but only because I thought that a 35-game winning streak and three straight national championships might send Pete Carroll back to the NFL and undermine the burgeoning dynasty. Well, there was also a part of me that thought that all of those obnoxious Longhorn fans with a national trophy to wave about might be too much to bear. It is.

Have you seen Walk the Line? I have not--and probably won't until it reaches Netflix. I just wanted an "authoritative" take on whether Joaquin Phoenix is a credible Johnny Cash. I don't believe anything I read in the newspaper about movies.

Andy Wolverton said...

I haven't seen it yet and probably won't, since it appears its first run is just about over. Netflix it is.

I've never been a huge Joaquin Phoenix fan - don't have anything against him either - but he'd have to be pretty good to pull of this role. We shall see.

(I'll just be glad when all the Geisha hype is over. Go ahead and give it the Oscar so we can get on with our lives.)

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

Go see Munich. It makes you believe that Spielberg can direct. (grin) Seriously, it does things which your basic pop-and-plastic action and murder movies simply cannot do -- it makes you believe in the story.

My review.

Dr. Phil

tcastleb said...

Funny, I was walking through the San Diego airport on the way to Greensburg PA just thinking, hey, Orange is the in color this season.

But then I looked closer at the logos on said orange T-shirts and hats. All the Texans decided to leave yesterday.

Hey, I'm in the same time zone as you for a week. Woohoo!