Friday, May 18, 2007

Goodbye, Veronica



That's it. After three seasons, Veronica Mars is done. And, yes, I'm a little sad.

Now I've never seen a single episode as it aired, but I rented Season One and thought it was great - definitely good enough to buy, which I did. I rented Season Two, and while I enjoyed it, I thought the quality of the writing slipped quite a bit from Season One. I haven't seen any of Season Three.

There's a lot to like about Veronica Mars. It's funny, sassy, class conscious, often exciting, and (especially during Season One) smart. The acting is generally very good, especially Kristen Bell. I can't imagine anyone else in the lead role. Consequently, I can't imagine Bell being able to fit into any other role so well. (Of course she can - she's talented. But I saw her in a couple of episodes of Deadwood Season One and kept thinking, "Cool! It's Veronica Mars in the Old West!")

If this show had aired when I was a teenager, I'd probably have been in love with Veronica Mars. I'd definitely have wanted to hang out with her. She's smart, funny compassionate, tough, and would kick your butt if you got out of line. She comes from a broken home, but doesn't use that (or anything else) as an excuse. She's focused, driven, tenacious. Plus she's got a cool dog.

But three good years isn't a bad thing. It's a lot better than three good years and two lousy ones. And as my friend John is fond of saying (I'm paraphrasing a bit, John), "When you've told all the story you have, the show's over."

And now it is over.

Goodbye, Veronica. It was fun.

1 comment:

John said...

Thanks for helping spread the gospel according to Saint Concision.