Monday, October 15, 2007

Capclave Report

I ended up not spending too much time (or, thankfully, money) at Capclave this weekend. Although I had a great time seeing my Clarion instructors Jeff Ford, Andy Duncan, and several other people, there wasn't much going on Friday night other than Guests of Honor Ford and Ellen Datlow interviewing each other, which was lots of fun. (And anytime you can hear Andy Duncan telling stories, it's always worth the price of admission.)

Thanks to a ton of traffic on the Beltway, I completely missed Saturday morning's first panel Is There Room in an SF Universe for God? as well as the first half of So You Want to Put Together an Anthology?, which I don't really want to do, but would like to know how they're put together.

So I visited the Dealer Room. I was good, buying only one book, Elizabeth Hand's Generation Loss, which easily passed the First Page Test and was a signed copy for no extra cost. The Dealer Room was much smaller than last year, creating the potential for many introductions and apologies, but all was well.

John and I had a pretty good lunch at On the Border, then went to the Defining Jeffrey Ford panel, which was as entertaining as you can imagine. We hung around a little longer, but both Lera and Cindy had a concert that evening and John and I decided we should probably spend a little time with our wives.

Even though I didn't attend that much of it this year, Capclave is a small but good con that's worth your consideration. This year's location, the Rockville Hilton, will also host next year's con, October 17-19, 2008 with Writer GoH James Morrow and Critic GoH Michael Dirda of the Washington Post.

No comments: