Wednesday, February 06, 2008

See What You Missed?

Yesterday I received the latest issue of Locus, including the 2007 Recommended Reading List.

Since I read far more fantasy and horror than straight-up sf, only two sf (which really seem more in the line of alternate history) titles hold much interest for me: The Yiddish Policemen's Union (which I currently have checked out on CD) by Michael Chabon and Ha'penny by Jo Walton. Reading Ha'penny is actually contingent upon how much I enjoy the first book in the series, Farthing, but my good friend John assures me I'll enjoy both.

In the fantasy category, I'd really like to read something by Elizabeth Bear. People whose opinions I respect hold her writing in high regard...but I just don't know where to start, especially since Whiskey and Water is not the first book in her Promethean Age series. Suggestions?

John Crowley's Endless Things is definitely on the "To Read" list, but it will have to wait until I read the other novels in the Aegypt cycle. (I think I need to first wait until my head stops spinning---in a good way---from The Solitudes.)

Guy Gavriel Kay's Ysabel has been sitting on my shelf for about six months. And have I even opened it? NO! Every time I pick up one of Kay's books I have a deep, unsettling fear that nothing he's written will ever compare with Tigana. Eventually I'll get over it and read Ysabel. Really, I promise.

And for the first time in a long time, I've read NONE of the books on the YA list. Geez...

And of course nearly all the collections look enticing.

When's the next payday?

No comments: