Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Living with Books: The Biography of Andy Wolverton



Okay, I admit it. I take great, voyeuristic pleasure in looking at the way other people display their books. (Sick, I know.) I guess that's why Living with Books by Alan Powers is such a treasure.

I love everything about the book: the photos, the ideas it gives you for creative storage solutions and even diagrams. (Although I've been told by Cindy that there's no way I'm allowed to build the staircase bookshelves on page 51.) This may not be a book you'll want to purchase (but then again, maybe it is), but it's lots of fun to look at. See if your local library has it. Get some ideas, go nuts. Just save enough room on those stairs so you can walk.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You should check out a book I read this past semester called ?Species of Spaces and Other Pieces, a translation of French author Georges Perec.

In many ways it is a strange, eclectic book but there is a section entitled "Brief Notes on the Art and Manner of Arranging One's Books" that I think you would get a kick out of.