Sunday, August 31, 2008

August Books Bought

I really started the month of August "on the cheap," but one trip to Daedalus did me in. Still, not a bad month. Here's what I purchased:
















Watchmen (Graphic Novel, originally published 1986-87) - Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons

I know I should have read this before now, but I saw the trailer for the film a few weeks ago and checked out a copy from the library. Then I saw it at a library sale and grabbed it.
Trade Paperback - Price = 10 cents


















Watership Down (1972) - Richard Adams

I actually own a first edition (U.S.) copy of this novel, and even though it's a little weathered, I went ahead and bought a reading copy. Why not? Look at the price.
Mass market paperback - Price = 10 cents
















Poe (or if you prefer, Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe) - (NF 1972) - Daniel Hoffman

Poe criticism. What's not to like? It's Poe!
Trade paperback - Price = 10 cents


















Werewolves in Their Youth: Stories (1999) - Michael Chabon

Okay, I'll admit it right now. The only Michael Chabon I've ever read was The Yiddish Policemen's Union, which blew me away. So purchasing his 1999 collection of short stories wasn't really going out on a limb. The guy's incredible.
Hardcover first edition - Price = $1.99
















William Faulkner : Novels 1930-1935 : As I Lay Dying, Sanctuary, Light in August, Pylon (Library of America)

William Faulkner : Novels 1942-1954 : Go Down, Moses / Intruder in the Dust / Requiem for a Nun / A Fable (Library of America)

All I've got to say is "Blast you, Daedalus Books!" I was doing just fine for the month when I walked in and saw these two (and the only two) Library of America editions of Faulkner. (There are, for those of you keeping score at home, five volumes of Faulkner in the LOA series.) I can't resist Faulkner and I can't resist Library of America. They had me as soon as I entered the store. Blast those guys....
Both volumes brand new hardcovers, not remaindered - Price = $14.98 each


Total Book Expenditures for August: $32.25

Next time: The stuff I actually read

2 comments:

Joe said...

Go check out Chabon's Wonder Boys. Awesome.

Andy Wolverton said...

Orangerful, the graphic novel is pretty amazing so far. I can't imagine the movie even coming close to it, but I'll withhold judgment for now.

Joe, Wonder Boys has been on my list for some time now. (I haven't even read Kavalier & Clay yet!)