Monday, February 01, 2010

Books Bought January


Scenting the Dark and Other Stories (2009) - Mary Robinette Kowal

It’s rare that I purchase a book sight unseen by an unknown author, but I’d read so many glowing reviews about Mary Robinette Kowal’s writing that I decided to give this short collection a try. Plus it’s always nice to support the independent press, in this case, Subterranean Press.

Hardcover signed edition; Price = $25


Voices: A Thriller (2003/2006) - Arnaldur Indridason

An Icelandic mystery recommended to me by one of the several Karens that I know. I’ve lately become stricken with all things Icelandic, so it’s no surprise that Icelandic Fever would affect my reading choices. Actually I’ll have to wait on this one, not realizing at the time that this is the third book in a series. Ah, well....

Hardcover signed edition; Price = $3.98


Valdez is Coming (1970) - Elmore Leonard

I’ve read very few westerns, but I have read a few Elmore Leonard novels (and I love his dialogue). This is one of those “Read the Novel/See the Film” books. I did see the film many, many years ago and am eager to read the book.

Trade Paperback; Price = $3.98


Listen to This: Leading Musicians Recommend Their Favorite Artists and Recordings (NF 1999) - Alan Reder

Now how could you not like this book: Musicians talking about their favorite artists and recordings? Who knew that DMC is a fan of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon or that jazz saxophonist David Sanborn digs Puccini operas? What a fun book!

Trade Paperback; Price = $5.98


What Are the Seven Wonders of the World? and 100 Other Great Cultural Lists--Fully Explicated (NF 1998) - Peter D’Epiro

Here are just some of the questions answered in this book:

Who are the 3 daughters of King Lear?
What are the 4 properties of a musical tone?
What were the 5 events of the ancient Olympic pentathlon?
Which were the 6 Axis Powers in World War II?
What are the 7 voyages of Sinbad the Sailor?

and such all the way through the number 24 (although a few numbers are skipped). A true geek’s delight!

Trade Paperback; Price = $4.98


Here, There Be Dragons (J-Fic 2006) - James A. Owen

I’m not sure where I heard about this fantasy novel for kids, but it’s been on my list for at least a couple of years.

Hardcover; Price = $5.98


The Authority Vol. 1: Relentless (GN 1999) - Warren Ellis, etc.

I’ve been trying to broaden my graphic novel horizons lately and thought this might be a good place to start. Thanks to my friend Orangerful and Steve at Third Eye Comics in Annapolis for steering me in the right direction.

Trade Paperback; Price = $14.95


Literary Theory: A Very Short Introduction (NF 1997) - Jonathan Culler

My Clarion 2004 bud Trent Hergenrader spoke highly of the Very Short Introduction series published by Oxford University Press, so I decided to take the plunge with this volume. (Purchased with birthday $)

Trade Paperback; Price = $8.60


The American Cinema: Directors and Directions 1929-1968 (NF 1968) - Andrew Sarris

I’d heard the name Andrew Sarris before, but after reading about him in Roger Ebert’s Awake in the Dark, I thought it was time to read him. (Another purchased with birthday $)

Trade Paperback; Price = $12.50


Notes from a Small Island (NF 1996) - Bill Bryson

The Ultimate Teen Book Guide says that this one is a laugh a minute. I’ve read a couple of Bryson’s books and enjoyed them, so for ten cents, it wasn’t a huge leap of faith.

Trade Paperback; Price = $.10

Suttree (1992) - Cormac McCarthy
I’ve greatly enjoyed Blood Meridian and No Country for Old Men, but those who have read more McCarthy than I have say this is his best work.

Hardcover; Price = $.50

The Motel Life (2007) - Willy Vlautin

The plot of this one sounds like a bad county song: two brothers from Reno are on the run after killing a boy in a hit-and-run accident. Could be because Vlautin is a member of the alt-country band Richmond Fontaine. I’ve got a feeling I’ll either love or hate this one.

Ex-Library Trade Paperback; Price = $.10

The Dragon King Saga (1985) - Stephen Lawhead

Someone recommended this trilogy (beginning with In the Hall of the Dragon King) over 25 years ago. I don’t know if I’ll still enjoy it now, but hey, the whole trilogy is in one place and the price was right.

Mass Market Paperback; Price = $.10


“Repent, Harlequin!” Said the Ticktockman (1997) - Harlan Ellison

Ah, one of the first sf stories I read as a “serious” reader. How could I turn this down?

Ex-Library Hardcover; Price = $.50

Tales of the Ten Lost Tribes (2008) - Tamar Yellin

I believe it was Jeff VanderMeer who highly recommended this on his blog. It was on the weedling list and almost no one had checked it out, so I shelled out two quarters.

Ex-Library Hardcover; Price = $.50

Grilling: Exciting International Flavors from the World's Premier Culinary College (NF 2006) - The Culinary Institute of America

It’s not quite grilling time yet (not with six inches of snow on the ground), but it’ll be here before you know it. And since I need to expand my grilling repertoire, here’s the perfect solution.

Ex-Library Hardcover; Price = $.50

Total Book Expenditures for January = $88.25

Next Time: What I Actually Read

No comments: