Monday, December 31, 2012

Just a Few Before We Go.....

The problem with making and posting any "Best of the Year" lists before the true end of the year is the possibility that you'll discover more films that deserve to be on the list. While only one of these films I saw after I posted my Best Films list is really exceptional, I enjoyed all three.


I wasn't aware of it at the time, but I watched three Steven Soderbergh films in as many weeks. (I guess that makes me a Soderboy?) While Haywire is not one of his best films, it was enjoyable on several levels. Sure, it's mainly an action flick with its share of action flick problems, but it was still fun to watch. I especially appreciate the fight scenes: there's no fancy camerawork, lightning-fast cuts or in-your-face shots. Soderbergh just sets up the camera and records the action. Gina Carano may not be the greatest actress, but her fighting and stunts are amazing. (Of course it helps when you're a mixed martial artist.)


Basil Dearden's Victim from 1961 takes on homosexuality in the context of blackmail, a very taboo subject for its time and delivers a pretty good dramatic mystery with some noir elements. If you've never seen any of Dearden's work, you're missing out. Check out the Criterion Collection Eclipse Series 25: Basil Dearden's London Underground for four of his films, all of which are good. 


Finally, there's Jim Jarmusch's Down By Law, a film that I hope to discuss more in a few days. You'll hear some people say that Jarmusch's films are too slow, or that they don't go anywhere, but I would disagree. It's one of those films that may not seem like much while you're watching it, but as you think about it and especially its characters, it starts to open up for you. Wonderful black and white cinematography, too. Again, more on this one later. 

Happy New Year, everyone! 



No comments: