Thursday, June 20, 2013

Submitted for Your Approval - Movies and Related Items to Seek Out


I frequently look at what's going on at Blu-ray.com (especially the deals) and noticed a new review of Criterion's new release of Marketa Lazarová. It's not often I see a perfect 5 rating in every category, but that's the case here. I've never seen this famous Czech film from 1967, but this review is very intriguing. 


I'd like to thank my friend, science fiction writer Andy Duncan, who recently told me about an out-of-print book series by Danny Peary called Cult Movies (in three volumes). I found a used copy of the first volume online and recently started reading it. (I know, the cover is to yak for, but I think you can find better covers with later printings.) This first volume includes essays on 100 films in a variety of genres from the silents until the then present time of the early 80s. Peary's writing is intelligent, engaging, and wonderfully informative. If you don't see me for long stretches of time, it's probably because I'm reading this book. 


No comments: