Wednesday, July 03, 2013

June Movies

 The films I saw in June:




A Man Escaped (1956) Robert Bresson [1:39]


5/5


A Late Quartet (2012) Yaron Zliberman [1:45]


2/5


Purple Noon (1960) Rene Clement [1:55]


4.5/5


Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) Steven Spielberg [1:55] (Who knows how many viewings?)

What else can you say about Raiders? It’s a comfort movie. I just bought the Indiana Jones blu-ray set and decided to get things started with this first installment. Looks better than ever.

5/5


March of the Penguins (NF 2005) Luc Jacquet [1:20]

Maybe it was all the hype, but I was a bit disappointed in this documentary of the yearly journey of the Emperor Penguins of Antarctica. Take away Morgan Freeman’s narration and some beautiful photography and you don’t really have much. Granted, the photography is often spectacular, but even at 70 minutes, it feels like you’ve been watching the thing all day long. I certainly am not in favor of animal cruelty, but the film seems quite sanitized when it could’ve been more honest in its representations. Still, I suppose that might take away some of the younger audience. (You also have to remember that I’m not much on animal/nature documentaries.) Worth a look, but I wouldn’t see it again.

3/5 



Babette’s Feast (1987) Gabriel Axel [1:42]

A friend of mine I’ll call L. has been trying to get me to watch this film for years. Another friend I’ll call D. was recently astounded/shocked/horrified that I’d never seen it. My sincere apologies to both of you: Babette’s Feast is an extraordinary film that deserves a full review sometime in the near future. I’m sorry it took me so long to see it, but I’m so glad I did.

5/5


Superman II (1980) Richard Lester [2:07] (4th viewing?)

3/5


Superman II (1980/2006) Richard Donner [1:55]

3.5/5


Man of Steel (2013) Zach Snyder [2:23]

3.5/5

Again, I plan to discuss all three films in the near future, probably after I’ve seen Man of Steel again. 


The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) Alfred Hitchcock [1:15] (2nd viewing)

I first saw Hitchcock’s original version of The Man Who Knew Too Much about 25 years ago, which was probably five years after I’d seen the 1956 remake (also by Hitchcock) at least a couple of times. If you’ve seen the 1956 version, the weaknesses of the 1934 film stand out: the pacing is erratic, for one thing, but the main problem is that Hitchcock hadn’t quite learned how to make the most of tension and release, drawing out the suspense to an unbearable point, especially during the grand finale concert. 

Yet Peter Lorre is a far more sinister (and memorable) villain than anyone in the 1956 version. His performance resonates evil. Once you see him, you can’t forget him. The overall tone of the 1934 version (especially in the chapel) carries more of a sense of danger and darkness than the remake. All in all, the 1934 version is enjoyable in its own right, but it’s also a sign of things to come from Hitchcock.

3.5/5 


Safety Last! (1923) Fred Newmeyer & Sam Taylor [1:13]

I must confess that up until last week, I’d never seen a Harold Lloyd film. I’m glad I can no longer make that claim and I’m glad Safety Last! is the film I started on my Lloyd journey. The premise is simple: country boy Lloyd goes to the city to seek fame and fortune so that his sweetheart will be convinced of his worth for marriage. In reality, Lloyd’s barely hanging on financially, but his letters to his sweetheart convey just the opposite. Things become desperate when the girl shows up unannounced to surprise him. 

Seeking quick money, Lloyd concocts a gimmick that will earn him $1,000. (Remember, the film is set in 1922 when $1,000 would be the equivalent of about $14,000 today.) All he has to do is climb a 12-story building. Well, no problem, since Lloyd’s best friend Bill has a talent for climbing, and if Lloyd disguises him, Bill will look just like Lloyd.

Of course you know this won’t work out. What follows is one of the greatest sequences in silent film and one of the most iconic images in film history, Lloyd hanging suspended from the hands of a clock.

I have no idea how they filmed this climbing sequence with 1922 technology (I watched the film streaming, so I was not able to view the special features on the DVD or Blu-ray.), but I was riveted to the screen, equal parts laughter and terror demanding my emotional attention. This sequence alone makes Safety Last! a must-see (and maybe even a must-own) for any movie lover.

4.5/5

No comments: