Thursday, August 22, 2013

Werner Herzog Collection Coming Soon


According to The Playlist via Indiewire, Shout Factory is currently working on remastering and reissuing 16 films by Werner Herzog in both physical and digital formats. 


I must confess, I have only seen one Herzog film, but it's one I've never forgotten, the brilliant Aguirre: The Wrath of God, about a 16th century quest by Spanish conquistadors to find El Dorado, the mystical city of gold. I'll never forget the final shot of that movie, never, or Klaus Kinski's amazing performance. 


Although I've never seen Herzog's most lauded work, Fitzcarraldo, a film chronicling one man's dream to build an opera house in the Peruvian rain forest, I need to make this a goal of some urgency. (There's a library patron who comes in a couple of times a month, asking each time, "Have you seen Fitzcarraldo yet?") This film also stars Kinski, who collaborated with Herzog in five films.

Hats off to Shout Factory for making this happen. Stay tuned as to the release date and price...


No comments: