Thursday, July 10, 2014

Spielberg Collection on the Way


On October 14, 2014, Universal will release Steven Spielberg Director's Edition Blu-ray, which includes these eight films:

Duel (Made for TV 1971)

The Sugarland Express (1974)

Jaws (1975)

1941 (1979)

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Always (1989)

Jurassic Park (1993)

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

The retail price for this set is two pennies under $200. You can save a whopping 10% by preordering from Amazon for $179.98.

I'm going to pass on this one. While I love several Spielberg films, appreciate others, and avoid others like the plague (and for me, there's some of all of these in this collection), I'll be content with the two that I already own from this set: Jaws in Blu-ray and Duel on DVD. E.T. and Jurassic Park are always slightly tempting, but I've resisted so far. I know they had to put some of the duds in this collection, otherwise what would you do? Maybe put out a You Failed Collection with all the films carrying Rotten Tomatoes scores below 70, which would be 

Always 64%
The Terminal 61%
Lost World: Jurassic Park 52%
1941 32%
Hook 31%

What's interesting about this new set is that it completely skips Close Encounters of the Third Kind in its chronology (released after Jaws and before 1941). And does that mean the next set (and it seems obvious there will be a next set or sets) might include The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, Hook and others? (The Indiana Jones movies, of course, have already been collected.) Maybe Empire of the Sun will be reserved for The Depressing Spielberg Edition, where it might join Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and Armistad? I can't really see those films standing alongside some of Spielberg's others. 

I can see a science fiction set, though, including Minority Report, A.I. and War of the Worlds. Or maybe a historical set. 

What would YOU like to see?



2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hook is one of my favorite movies. He has such a wide range of movies under his belt the only logical way to package them, other than the depressing or terrible series, would be a complete directorial boxed set. Would you buy that of any director?

Andy Wolverton said...

@Sam - And I'm sure they'll just import the special features that were already on those initial releases... Yeah, I'm sticking with what I've got.

@Steph - I actually never saw Hook!
There are probably some older directors whose work I would buy, but not many. Even Hitchcock had clunkers, which prevents me from buying his set. (Like Sam, I've got most of the ones I really want anyway.)