Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Bullet/Some Thoughts on Writing Bleak Stories

We found out today that our greyhound Bullet does not have bone cancer. We took him for X-rays today and he definitely has arthritis, but shows no signs of cancer. We're so thankful he's okay. We can treat the arthritis and have a couple of options. Bullet has been sleeping like rock, but the doctor said he should be less groggy tomorrow. Can't wait to see him jumping around, ripping up and down the stairs, acting like a big goof.

I was a little nervous about submitting a story to my Clarion buddies, but I finally did. Even before they critiqued it (a story called "The Post-Game Show"), I knew it wasn't the best I could do. As John S. mentioned, it is a bleak story with no hope at all visible anywhere. I guess I see so many people who have no hope, have nothing to believe in and I guess that hopelessness is what I wanted to portray. But John's right, there should be some ray of light in there. I also think I'm still trying to throw too many ideas into my stories, clouding the main theme(s).

My first thought was, "Man, I didn't learn JACK at Clarion; my writing still sucks!" But I think I'm able to see things that I know are problems now, if I step back and look at my stories from someone else's eyes. That's hard for me right now, but I think it will come. I also have to train myself (other writers may disagree) to move on to something else for a time when I'm stuck on a story. I did that today and got a great opening for a new story.

10:20....read or watch Twilight Zone? Hmmm......

Now Playing = "Diamonds and Rust" – Joan Baez

No comments: