Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Running Sucks

I hate running. I really do. Before yesterday, I hadn't run in about three months, just enough time to let the beer and pizza find a nice, comfy place in my system, blood stream, etc. My cholesterol is even down to a good level for me, 235.

So why run when I hate it so much? After a few weeks of it...heck, really after only one or two runs...I love how it makes you feel. (AFTER the sore muscles.) And I want to be in reasonably good shape by the time I'm 50, which is a heck of a lot closer than it used to be.

On to a more pleasant subject: writing. I'm very excited about two projects - actually three - going on now. I started a new short story on Sunday that I've been thinking about for the last three days and can't get out of my head. I'm also taking some time to work on what I hope to be a YA novel based loosely on one of the stories I wrote at Clarion.

The third project is the DC Writer's Way workshop. I participated in the workshop in 2002 and have been fairly active in the readings. Earlier this summer I was asked to lead the Capitol Hill workshop which starts in a couple of weeks. The workshop participants are usually beginners who are looking for direction, how to get started, that sort of thing, but there are often some writing veterans present. Should be a lot of fun. I have no doubt that I'll be the person who learns the most. You always do when you teach.

Now Playing = The Forgotten Arm - Aimee Mann

No comments: