Friday, December 30, 2005

Back from Georgia

Spent Christmas in the North Georgia Mountains at Cindy's parents. I actually got about 2,000 words written in between extended episodes of eating like a crazed lawn mower. Got some good loot – mostly some much needed clothes. Music – Maiden Voyage by Herbie Hancock and Ragin' Live by Rhonda Vincent and the Rage. Two books – Storyteller by Kate Wilhelm (which is outstanding) and a book of Sudoku. (I thought I was doing pretty good at them until Cindy picked up the book and finished a puzzle in about two minutes.)

Here we are at New Year's Eve Eve – no resolutions to speak of, only to try to find a more consistent time for writing. I'm a morning person (I usually get up at about 5:30), so that seems the best and most productive time to work. I've just got to say "No email or Internet until I write." The worst feeling in the world is to realize at 11:00 PM that you haven't written anything the entire day. So mornings it is.

Speaking of which, I put down about 1,200 words today. All before 8:00 AM.

Now Playing = Maiden Voyage – Herbie Hancock
Just Finished Reading = "The Night of White Bhairab" from The Jaguar Hunter – Lucius Shepard

2 comments:

John said...

I used to love Maiden Voyage. Then I used the Aebersold Maiden Voyage book to teach high school students to improvise.

I am the only person in my family not doing Sudoku. This is fine with me, as it means there is less competition for the crossword puzzle. (Give me words over numbers any day.)

Andy Wolverton said...

Funny you should mention the Abersold book -- I gave it to Cindy a few years ago, but she hasn't been interesting in learning improv. Just last night I asked her where it was - I'm trying to get my jazz chops back. Or started.

I don't know, the numbers are kind of soothing after seeing so many words all day. That's scary, since I hate math.