Saturday, May 13, 2006

Just When I Was Getting Warmed Up...

...another good market closes. That's right, Fortean Bureau announced that it will be folding soon. This was a good market and I'd submitted to them a few times in the past year. Alas, no more. I hate it for them and for writers like me who are focusing most of their efforts on short fiction. Lord knows there aren't enough quality markets out there as it is. It's sad to see another one closing its doors.

And to make matters worse, I feel like my short stories are starting to inch their way up to the next level (whatever that is). Lately the ideas have been coming faster than I can put them down on paper, but I'm trying to keep up.

The Fortean Bureau editorial doesn't rule out a future incarnation of the zine. Let's hope it returns at some point.

Now Playing = Rare, Live & Classic (boxed set) - Joan Baez
Now Reading = Shadows and Silence - Barbara Roden & Christopher Roden, eds.
Listening to in the Car = The Thief Lord - Cornelia Funke

2 comments:

John said...

Worse still, Fortean Bureau was one of those markets you could send something that didn't really fit anywhere else.

Thoughts on The Thief Lord?

Andy Wolverton said...

Still too early for any definite thoughts on The Thief Lord, but so far enjoyable.