Saturday, October 07, 2006

Stepping into the 21st Century

Well, I'm finally making the plunge. Everyone in the known universe has made fun of me (and rightly so) for years, so this weekend I'm buying a cell phone family plan.

Cindy's had a cell phone for years. I bought her one when we lived in Austin in 1996. She commuted to UNT in Denton, TX and I wanted her to have a little added security. (Denton's a dangerous place, ya know.) It was one of those big clunky Motorola phones that looked and felt like a gray brick. Then she got a prepaid phone that she's been using for a couple of years. But now we're getting the real thing. I told her as long as I can get "Like a Rolling Stone" as my ringtone, I'll be happy.

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but we're wondering how many people have disconnected their land lines and use cell phones for all their calls. What do you think?

******************************

Sent out a new story today called "Thicket" which clocked in at exactly 5,000 words.

******************************

Everybody have a good Columbus Day Weekend. Go discover something.

3 comments:

Livia Llewellyn said...

I haven't had a land line phone for about four years now, and I don't miss it at all. Welcome to this century!

John said...

We have a landline because the trees around here make it impossible to get a signal inside the house. Well, at least I blame the trees. They may be innocent. But that still doesn't get me a signal anywhere but my kitchen.

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

We keep a landline, because our cellphones are mainly turned off -- plus we're using DSL, so what the hell. However, we use the minutes which come with the cellphones for long distance. Doesn't really matter how long we call, it's covered. When my dad had complications from surgery, calling every day, even during the day, wasn't a problem. Have never gone over the minutes since we got a plan with minutes -- before that, we used clunky gray Motorola flip phones... (grin)

Dr. Phil