Monday, March 10, 2008

Would You Like an Atlas with That Novel?

Google never ceases to amaze me. I often check out Google Book Search to find pictures of book covers, since they usually don't have those little white borders on the left and right sides of the photo that drive me up the wall (like the ones at left that I pulled from Amazon).

So a few minutes ago I was looking for the cover of the book I'm reading now, The Search for Joseph Tully, a Christmas present from my good friend Kelly. Unfortunately I didn't find the photo, but I did find this. Scroll down to "Places mentioned in this book." Not only does GBS mark the places mentioned, it lists the page(s) where that city is mentioned! Is that not the coolest? Or am I the only one excited about this?

Yeah, I thought so.

Anyway, I think it's cool. (If I typed in The Fellowship of the Ring, would I get a map of Middle Earth? How about VanderMeer's Ambergris?)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's not hard to have Amazon produce images without the border.

Here's a good resource on how to do it.

http://aaugh.com/imageabuse.html

Andy Wolverton said...

Thanks! I'll take a look.