Monday, November 03, 2008

October Books Read

One good thing about being sick: plenty of time to read. That's probably responsible for a couple of extra books read during October. If the books are engaging, you don't really mind being sick. But if they're not, well... Anybody got any Tylenol?

Here they are, the books I read in October, with a few links to what I wrote about them earlier:


City of Ember (J-Fic 2003) - Jeanne DuPrau


Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner (NF 2005) - Dean Karnazes


The Gargoyle (2008) - Andrew Davidson


Painted Devils: Strange Stories (1979) - Robert Aickman


Eye of the Crow: The Boy Sherlock Holmes, His First Case (J-Fic 2007) - Shane Peacock


Midnight on Mourn Street (2008) - Christopher Conlon


Consolation of Philosophy (NF 524) - Boethius


Islam: The Religion and the People (NF 2008) - Bernard Lewis, Buntzie Ellis Churchill


Starting Friction (Poetry 2008) - Tenea D. Johnson
Cool poetry from my Clarion 2004 buddy Tenea D. Johnson


The Iliad - Homer (Fitzgerald translation)


The Post-American World (NF 2008) - Fareed Zakaria
I hope to write a little about this one sometime in the near future.


The Snowman’s Children (2002) - Glen Hirshberg
I definitely want to write about this one when I have the time. This turned out to be my "Halloween Read," although it's not a conventional horror novel. It is, however, superb. If you haven't read Glen Hirshberg, read this excellent novel or his two short story collections, The Two Sams and American Morons.

That's it for October. Go read something, then go vote tomorrow, then read some more.

3 comments:

John said...

Please write about Zakaria. I haven't always agreed with him (though I find myself doing so recently), but he is always thoughtful and has a unique perspective. Yet another book on my list to read.

Andy Wolverton said...

I will. Part of the reason I've refrained so far is that I listened to the audiobook and need to lay my hands on a print copy to see how (and if) he documents his findings. There are an awful lot of generalizations in the book, especially in the early chapters.

John said...

What? Someone writing about politics resorts to generalizations? Surely not.