Tuesday, November 11, 2008

YA Overload







































It certainly looks like November (or at least the second half of November) is going to be YA Month. All of the above have either just come in at the library or have been recommended to me by people whose opinions I value. Right now I'm listening to The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves by M.T. Anderson. So far there's no indication that this volume will not be as superb as the first, a beautifully written engaging novel. This volume may even be better. Anderson never ceases to amaze me.

I've certainly enjoyed them, but haven't been blown away by the last few things I've read from Neil Gaiman, but The Graveyard Book may change all that. Everything I've heard has been stellar.

The same can be said for The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. Just try putting the book down after this opening line:

The first thing you find our when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

And then there's Down the Rabbit Hole by Peter Abrahams, recommended by a co-worker.

I might need a little grown-up reading in December...

1 comment:

Andy Wolverton said...

I think you're right in some aspects. Most YA writers do a better job with pure storytelling than "writers for grown-ups." Plus YA stories tend to have more satisfying endings, a sense of closure.

But M.T. Anderson satisfies both people looking for a great story and those who want to read beautiful, well-constructed prose. That's not to say the rest of the YA writers aren't doing that, but Anderson does it at such a high level he's really separated himself (IMO) from everyone else.