Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March Books Bought



Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together (NF 2006) - Ron Hall & Denver Moore

A homeless drifter and an upscale art dealer. What would they have in common? How would their paths ever even cross? I've heard a lot about this dual memoir. It seems people either love it or hate it. I thought for the price it was worth the risk.

Hardcover; Price = $3.99



The Man Who Would Be King and Other Stories - Rudyard Kipling

I remember Jeffrey Ford talking favorably about Kipling and his short fiction, particularly the story "The Phantom 'Rickshaw," which is included here. I'm not wild about the small print that the Oxford World's Classics line seems to embrace, but that's why God made reading glasses.

Trade paperback; Price = $1.99



Why We're Not Emergent: By Two Guys That Should Be (NF 2008)

There's been an awful lot written about the Emergent Church the past few years, some good, some bad. I'll be honest: I don't know that much about the Emergent Church, but I'm eager to read this opinion of two guys who aren't, yet seem to fit the Emergent "mold" pretty well.

Trade paperback; Price = $10.19



Objects of Grace: Conversations on Creativity and Faith (NF 2002) - James Romaine

I was recommended this one by Ned Bustard, editor of It Was Good: Making Art to the Glory of God. Square Halo Books produces some gorgeous work and it looks like Objects of Grace is no exception. I'll let you know.

Trade paperback; Price = $13.59



Feathers (J-Fic 2007) - Jacqueline Woodson

I actually bought this one yesterday at the Great Books conference. Woodson was the guest speaker and she read from several of her books, including this one, which I thought the most engaging. I also met her and got her to sign my copy. Very nice lady.

Hardcover, signed; Price = $14.00

Total Book Expenditures for March = $43.76

No comments: