Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What Do These Two Films Have in Common?


What do these two films have in common, you ask? Not much, other than the fact that I saw parts of both of them while running on the treadmill yesterday. Gold's Gym has really upgraded their Cardio Cinema (sometimes referred to by me as Cardiac Cinema): the exercise equipment is better, the film sound clearer and the area darker. Yet the film choices continue to defy logic.

I came in during what seemed to be the halfway point of the 2005 version of House of Wax. It was around 9:45 a.m., maybe a slightly weird time to show a horror movie, but I found that my workout (at least the first 20 minutes of it) went really quickly. Not that House of Wax is anything great; from what I saw, it stunk, but at least it kept me moving.

At least until Elisha Cuthbert gets her index finger sliced off at the first knuckle. (If it had been her big toe, that might've been the end of my run right then and there.)

Maybe the employees at Gold's thought, "Okay, maybe this is too much for 10:00 a.m. Let's go in a different direction."

Which they certainly did. Running at a pace between 6.4 and 7.0 while watching Eddie Murphy's Daddy Day Care was pure torture. Maybe if I'd thought about running away from it, the last fifteen minutes of my workout might've been easier. Don't get me wrong, this may be a great family film, but for a sprint-to-the-finish run, give me the mindless slasher/big explosion/car chase/action films. At least they're good for something.

No comments: