Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Books Bought June

Just a handful. The economy, ya know....


Secret Lives - Jeff VanderMeer

I noticed awhile back on VanderMeer’s site Ecstatic Days that this signed, illustrated edition from Prime Books was being offered at $20 (normally $35), so I jumped at it. If you’ve never read VanderMeer, you should. Soon. Now would be a good time.

Signed hardcover; Price = $20.00


This House of Sky: Landscapes of a Western Mind - Ivan Doig

I’d seen this book around without ever giving it much thought until it came up in a Readers’ Advisory workshop a few weeks back. In that workshop, each participant partnered up with someone else and shared a book they liked. Based on the qualities of that book, the other person had to come up with three or four other books they thought the reader would enjoy. This House of Sky was one of the books I recommended to my partner (Her book of choice was the YA classic Hattie Big Sky.). I thought this non-fiction memoir of Doig growing up on a Montana ranch in the 1940s/50s sounded compelling. My good friends at Daedalus Books were more than happy to connect me with the book.

Trade Paperback; Price = $3.98


Poppy and Dingan - Ben Rice

One of the most useful aspects of the Clarion workshop is the one-on-one time with each instructor. I highly value my time with each of them, but I think my time with Kelly Link was the most useful. She not only talked about my writing, but also discussed what I read. She recommended, based on my writing and interests, several books she thought I should read. There are 28 books on that list. Poppy and Dingan is one of them.

Trade Paperback; Price = $3.98

Total expenditures = $27.96

Next time: What I actually read in June. And I haven't forgotten about the short story collection purge. Really.

No comments: