Monday, July 13, 2009

Vacation Reads

Cindy and I are getting geared up for our big family vacation later this week. Cindy's planning what clothes to bring, food, running gear, etc. And, of course, I'm planning on what books to bring.

I always like to take at least one fiction and one non-fiction title. I'm really enjoying Bernard Cornwell's The Winter King and can't imagine not taking it on the trip. I've also just started the non-fiction Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together by Ron Hall, Denver Moore and Lynn Vincent. I'm still working on Daniel Kalder's Strange Telescopes: Following the Apocalypse from Moscow to Siberia, which is indeed strange, funny and not a little frightening. I'll attempt to renew it today, so if no one has a hold on it, it's going on the trip.

On audio I'm hoping to bring David Marusek's Counting Heads, which I've had in book form for over a year, alas, unread. In case it's a bust, I'm also taking Thomas Perry's Dance for the Dead, a thriller. I've never read Perry, so I'm going out on a limb with this one, too.

Then yesterday at church a friend of mine loaned me Kenneth E. Bailey's Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes: Cultural Studies in the Gospels, which looks fascinating, but may be a little heavy for a vacation read. Maybe, maybe not. We shall see.

No comments: