Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Books Read July

A disappointing month for reading, both in quantity and quality. As far as quantity is concerned, I'll bet I didn't read more than ten pages on vacation and not much more in the days that followed. Quality? Only one of the books really met (much less exceeded) my expectations. So here we go with a much-abbreviated version of

BOOKS READ JULY


Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, an American Town (NF 2009) - Warren St. John

Easily my favorite read of the month. I first heard of this book on a podcast and was intrigued enough to seek it out. I'm glad I did. I have little interest in soccer, but great interest in how people from other cultures behave in unfamiliar environments. Further thoughts here.


Dead Until Dark (2001) - Charlaine Harris

Several weeks ago I watched the first few episodes of the HBO series True Blood, based on the Sookie Stackhouse mysteries by Charlaine Harris, so I thought it might be fun to tackle the first book in the series. The characters, tone, setting are all good, but I didn't think the mystery element was all that strong nor the ending all that satisfying. Still a fun read.


The Lightning Thief: Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book 1 (J-Fic 2006) - Rick Riordan

Nearly every kid that comes into the library asks for this first book in the Percy Jackson series and it's always checked out. My friend C.J. came through for me and loaned me the book on audio. In a nutshell, it's a fun, fast-moving riff on Greek mythology for kids. The best thing about it is the fact that kids (reluctant boy readers, especially) are excited about reading, which I'm all for.


Intent to Kill (2009) - James Grippando

I really enjoy suspense/thrillers, especially since we have so many patrons who also enjoy them and come up to the Info. Desk asking for recommendations. Early on I thought I'd be able to recommend this one about an ex-baseball player turned radio talk-show host after his wife died in an auto accident three years earlier. (Ah, but maybe it wasn't an accident...) Alas, too many plot elements became too unbelievable for me to recommend it. Maybe I'll give another of Grippando's books a try.

Yep. That's it for July, four books. Sad, I know. As Tony Kornheiser says, I'll try and do better next time.

Go out and read something. Better still, stay in and read something. It's too hot out there.

No comments: