Monday, April 26, 2010

What Book Would You Memorize?


In Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, Clarisse introduces Montag to an underground society that has kept books and literature alive by memorizing them. My friend D. and I were talking about that scene yesterday between services at church. She wondered if there would be books in heaven. I told her I hoped so. She said if the Fahrenheit 451 scene played itself out in heaven with people memorizing books of the Bible, she'd like to have the Gospel of John. I told her that with my faulty memory, Philemon would probably be all I could handle.

So what book would you want to memorize? Don't let the difficulties of memorization hinder your choice. Just imagine you could memorize any book, but make it one book. Which would you choose? And why?

2 comments:

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

So many choices... but I'd probably have to go with Frank Herbert's Dune. It's such a big story -- an epic, truly -- and has such a great cast of characters. Also, I think I could stand to memorize it. (grin)

Dr. Phil

John said...

I would memorize an Alan Furst novel and read it as much like George Guidall as possible.