Friday, October 31, 2014

Revisiting the Horrors of Youth

When Halloween approaches, I love to figure out which horror movies I’ll want to watch, usually one I’ve never seen or haven’t seen in a long time. When I was a kid, it seemed like my hometown theater screened just about every horror movie that came along. I saw a lot of them, but also missed a fair number. Here’s a list of ten movies I’d like to see again or for the first time.


The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) Terence Fisher

I used to devour my older brother’s copies of Famous Monsters of Filmland, always regretting that the Christopher Lee era of Frankenstein movies had already passed. I hope to see this one soon. (Hey, what’s a 40-year wait?)


The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) Roman Polanski

I absolutely loved this film when I was a kid, going to the theater at least twice to see it. I’m sure one of the reasons I loved it was Sharon Tate, but it was also probably the first time I’d seen horror and comedy combined effectively. Give me a break - I was probably only seven or eight at the time. We didn’t get many first-run movies at our theater, so I probably saw this in 1970 or 1971.


Count Yorga, Vampire (1970) Bob Kelljan

I don’t remember much about this one, other than all the girls in the theater screamed a lot. 

 

The House that Dripped Blood (1971) Peter Duffell

This may have been my first “What’s on the poster isn’t necessarily in the movie” experience. I’m pretty sure we never see Peter Cushing’s head on a platter, but I could be wrong. I hope to see it again to find out. Great title, though. 


The Legend of Hell House (1973) John Hough

I remember being creeped out by this one when I was a kid. I also remember liking just about anything that starred Roddy McDowell, so there was also that. 


The Horror at 37,000 Feet (TV 1973) David Lowell Rich

I was eleven when I saw this TV movie starring William Shatner as a former priest called upon to exorcise a demon-possessed jet on a transatlantic flight. Yes, you read that correctly. I’d still like to see it again. 


Trilogy of Terror (TV 1975) Dan Curtis

Ah, Karen Black will always be remembered for this film. All the kids in the eighth grade were talking about this one for days after it aired. I don’t think any of us had ever seen anything that scary on TV. 


Suspiria (1977) Dario Argento

Unbelievably, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the entire film. 


The Changeling (1980) Peter Medak

I think I missed out on this one as well. 


The Keep (1983) Michael Mann

Although I read and enjoyed F. Paul Wilson’s novel of the same name, I’ve never seen the film version. At one time it was very difficult to find. I’m not sure if that’s still the case...

So what horror movies would you like to revisit or experience for the first time?


No comments: