Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Finding Time to Write

The new job at Barnes & Noble in Annapolis is going well. I really like the people I'm working with, which is always nice. And of course, the books are always intoxicating. (I'm currently coveting Neil Gaiman's 1602. It would make a REALLY nice Christmas present ;)

If there was a good thing about being unemployed before I joined B&N, it was having time to write. I had tons of time and got a lot of stories written and pushed out the door. (I've got four out right now and should have a fifth out before the end of the week.) With a job, I can either postpone some of the projects I'm working on, or spend a little less time on each one, still keeping them all fresh (somewhat) in my mind. At least for now, I'm spending a little time on each project, which includes studying stories of other authors.

A friend of mine in Virginia writes during his lunch. I think he's probably in his own office and can easily do that. When you're eating with other people, it feels a little rude to work on your writing when everyone else is having a lunch conversation. But when they're all reading something, I write. Works so far.

But mornings are still the best for me. If I can get up sometime before 6:00AM and write for at least an hour, I feel like I've accomplished something. Usually I'll usually have time to do more in the evenings, but morning is my premium writing time. And as I look at my clock, I see that it's almost over. Until next time.

Now Playing = After Midnight - Nat King Cole Trio

No comments: