Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Getting Better

Things are going better. 1400 words this morning on a new story. It’s a story about sports, money, and doing the right thing, but not at all in the way you might think. I feel good about it so far. When I know where it’s going, I’ll feel better.

I’ve spent a lot of time taking apart and studying John Cheever’s “The Enormous Radio.” I’m beginning to understand how good stories are put together and also beginning to see where my stories start going wrong. When I was a band director, one of the fundamental concepts I tried to teach my students was knowing what to do and when to do it.

As a writer, I’m learning more about what to do (and consequently, what not to do) in my stories. What is essential to the story, what has to be there? What character elements, what parts of the plot, what aspects of the setting, the weather, the tone, etc. are critical? What should be left out?

The next step is when (and where) to place those elements…the correct order, pacing, rhythm, tempo. Everything has to be in order.

My poet friend Liz and I have talked many times about how all the arts share common elements. I think there’s something to this. I can’t imagine putting together a piece of music without knowing what to do and when to do it. When I reach that same level in my writing, I’ll be on my way to putting together some good stuff.

Now Playing = “Four Sticks” – Led Zeppelin

No comments: