Saturday, April 22, 2006

Zona, Writers of the Future and (of course) More Books

Cindy and I got back last night from visiting my mom in Arizona, where for some crazy reason my allergies decided to go nuts. But Mom's doing well, Cindy and I got to watch the Greyhound races and I got to go to Half-Price Books (where I picked up a nice hardcover of Charles de Lint's Tapping the Dream Tree and a not-so-nice (but good enough for reading) copy of Robert R. McCammon's They Thirst.

On the plane, I finished Glen Hirshberg's excellent collection The Two Sams and got about 75 pages into Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. Man, what a tale that is.

When I got home to check my mail, I finally got something from Writers of the Future. I guess it's good news – I've made the quarter-finals a number of times, but this time I reached the semi-finals. Progress, I suppose.

6 comments:

tcastleb said...

I haven't heard from WOTF yet. :>( And now that I remember, they sent me an email last time saying they received my piece, and didn't this time. Hmmm.

Andy Wolverton said...

Hey, maybe you're a finalist!

John said...

HALF-PRICED BOOKS! You are so lucky to have been able to visit the Mother Ship. I miss that place. I even miss the way it smelled, like paper and ink tinged with a little mildew.

tcastleb said...

I dunno. . .I think it's too early. I sent mine off for the March deadline. And I found another blog that was talking about first quarter finalists just getting notified. So maybe the December deadline is for first quarter? Last time it took me two and a half months to hear back.

Congrats on making semis, though. That's great!

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

The good thing about being a WOTF Semi-Finalist, is that you do get a crit by a judge. Plus knowledge that you made the cut down to probably 50 or so out of a thousand plus manuscripts for the quarter.

(I would've made this deathless comment yesterday, except for some reason I don't get any fields to type in my Blogger identity on my PDA. I "love" HTML...)

Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

I should add to tcastleb, that if you didn't get a confirmation e-mail from your December submission, it may have gotten lost in the mail. I had a December submission go AWOL a couple of years ago -- when I contacted the very nice people at WOTF, they said they were hearing from a number of people and suspect that a whole USPS bin of their mail got lost.

I can just imagine somebody stealing a bin of mail, hoping to extract checks and negotiable instruments and credit cards and plane tickets... only to find three dozen SF stories with stamped self-addressed return envelopes... (grin)

Dr. Phil