Monday, January 15, 2007

Hirshberg/Lynch

I've been studying Glen Hirshberg's "American Morons," one of my favorite stories from last year. If you haven't read it, you can find it in Hirshberg's new collection (see "Now Reading" in the left margin) or in The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 19.

I'm always impressed with Hirshberg, but reading his work is a great way to study how sentences and paragraphs do more than one thing. Hirshberg builds a very linear structure that advances the story with each paragraph, yet tells us everything we need to know about the two main characters, their relationship with each other (where it's been as well as where it's going), and how their immediate environment provides elements of both comedy and horror.

I guess it's his timing that impresses me the most. Kellen sees each event of the story unfold the same way his girlfriend Jamie does, but with each instance, Kellen feels the growing unease of an American stranded in a foreign country (Italy) balanced with the fear that he's losing Jamie. And the reader's not entirely sure if he should laugh or feel terrified. Again, the timing is perfect. Hirshberg knows exactly how long to play on then sense of comedy and how long to dwell on the impending nature of Kellen and Jamie's situation. Excellent stuff.

******************************

I've decided to go see INLAND EMPIRE this afternoon instead of on my birthday, since I had doubts that Cindy would want to see the film. We'll see if I'm too freaked out to write about it afterward.

This weekend's Fortune Cookie:

Do not be afraid of competition.

No comments: