Monday, July 23, 2007

And So It Begins...

I started the third (and hopefully final) draft of my YA novel this morning. I hadn't looked at it since I'd turned it in to the contest several months ago, so I was a little surprised that the first chapter was actually not bad. Of course, looking back, I spent a loooooooooong time getting that first chapter just right.

There's one bit of information that I need to include in the chapter to make subsequent events in later chapters more believable, but I don't see that as a huge problem. Otherwise all of the elements that need to be there are in place. It's a pretty short opening chapter (a chapter, not a prologue), only 1700 words (eight pages). I'll spend a few days examining Chapter One, making sure it's a solid foundation. I think the cracks begin to appear in Chapter Two...

No comments: