Monday, July 02, 2007

June Books Bought

Just the books bought today; the read ones tomorrow. Deal?

Okay, I bought quite a few in June, most of which I found at a sale I stumbled upon completely by accident. (I love those kinds of accidents.) All were purchased on the cheap. (I think the most I paid for any book was $2.)

BOOKS BOUGHT

Six Easy Pieces : Essentials of Physics, Explained by its Most Brilliant Teacher (NF 1996) - Richard P. Feynman
Hey, Dr. Phil will be proud! I heard about this book several years ago (maybe even from you, Dr. Phil), that it was a good book for the layman.

And Die in the West: The Story of the O.K. Corral Gunfight (NF 1989) - Paula Mitchell Marks
C'mon, who can resist a book about the gunfight at the O.K. Corral? Not me.

The Facts on File Visual Dictionary (NF 1986) - Jean-Claude Corbeil
Looks like a good writer's reference to me.

The Godwulf Manuscript (1974) - Robert B. Parker
The first Spencer novel, which I read years ago but wanted to read again. A few months ago I listened to a more current Spencer novel, School Days, and thought I'd (eventually) journey through all the Spencer novels.

The Black Cauldron (YA 1965) - Lloyd Alexander
Beloved children's writer Alexander recently passed away and I wanted to read the entire Prydain Chronicles. This was the only book I didn't have.

Pop. 1280 (1964) - Jim Thompson
Okay, this was a blockhead purchase, since I've still got Thompson's The Killer Inside Me unread and don't even know if I'll like it. But, I rarely run across Thompson's books, which are highly praised, so I bought it. (Hey, it was only 50 cents...)

Light (2004) - M. John Harrison
I've been told by many that this one's a winner, so I picked it up on the cheap. The only other Harrison I've read is an early novel The Centauri Device (which I couldn't finish) and a short story called "Tourists" which I really enjoyed.

With Good Reason: An Introduction to Informal Fallacies (NF 1982) - S. Morris Engel
I heard a few discussions on this topic several years ago, which sparked my renewed interest in learning some of the basics of logic. We'll see if my illogical mind can grasp some of the concepts.

The Concrete Blonde (1994) - Michael Connelly
I'm in the process of collecting all of Connelly's Harry Bosch novels in hardcover first editions, which this one is.

NEXT TIME: Books Read

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I forgot Andy, did you go to Tombstone the last time you were in Arizona? When we were there, Amy tried to break up the gunfight before things got out of hand.

If you haven't been, I highly recommend it. The town's kitsch is over the top but the O.K. Corral is fascinating and so is the brothel that's now a historical museum. And Boot Hill is cool, too. Well worth a stop.

Andy Wolverton said...

We haven't yet made it to Tombstone, but it's certainly on my list. Too bad Amy couldn't get through to those guys... Looks like they had their minds made up.