Thursday, August 16, 2007

Expectations

I guess living with me for 11+ years did the trick. Or maybe she figured if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. For whatever reason, Cindy has joyfully converted, becoming a Bob Dylan fan.

We've both been hoping Bob would pull up to our area with his Never-Ending Tour, and BEHOLD! He has! Today I plan on ordering our tickets to the Merriweather Post Pavilion show on Sept. 28 in Columbia, MD.

Now here's the problem: Cindy has really gotten into Dylan for about the past six months or so. But, like a lot of people who are introduced to Dylan, she mainly likes the early stuff (1961-1966).

"I really like that live CD," she says, referring to The Bootleg Series, Vol. 6: Bob Dylan Live 1964 - Concert at Philharmonic Hall.

"I hate to tell you this," I say, "but that guy's not gonna show up."

"But that's the Dylan I like!"

"Oh he'll do some older tunes, but they won't sound like they do on the discs." She slumped in her chair.

I told her to listen to last year's Modern Times and 2001's Love and Theft for a more accurate example of what to expect at a Dylan concert (although even his renditions of newer tunes can vary as well). I handed her the discs and she gave me a skeptical look, like I'd just handed her a stuffed animal for Christmas when she'd asked for a pony.

Anyway, this discussion caused me to think about our expectations from all artists. I'm sure there are still thousands of fans who never forgave Dylan for "going electric," expecting the same type of acoustic music that filled his first several albums. Writers evolve their writing styles, painters branch out into unexplored territory...filmmakers, dancers, sculptors, all artists do it.

Except those who play it safe, always giving their audience and fans exactly what they expect. We see that in every aspect of the arts as well. I once heard a professional writer talking about another professional writer (whom she would not name) who writes a very successful mystery series. "I just wish the thing would end," the writer said. She felt like a prisoner. Of course that's the whole premise of Stephen King's Misery, the story of a writer held captive who literally is not allowed to write anything that varies from his successful formula.

Cindy is not one of those people. It'll just take her a little time to understand and appreciate the various stages of Dylan through the past 40+ years. She's willing to give it a shot and I admire her for that. Maybe we can spread that around a little.

Of course, if Bob straps on the harmonica and belts out "The Times They Are A-Changin'" in his 1962 voice, I'm sure Cindy won't complain too much.

1 comment:

John said...

not allowed to write anything that varies from his successful formula.

This is the problem with most comic books. They invariably follow the same plot elements and refuse to let the writers or the characters really evolve. Marvel and DC go to great lengths to make it look like their characters are evolving, but the all-too-frequent time resets and origin stories are really just rearranging the deck chairs.

I just finished Sue Grafton's A Is For Alibi, and your comments about doing something new reminded me of her. Apparently the most recent Alphabet mystery is told in a largely different way than all of the other previous books in the series.