Friday, November 09, 2007

Conversations over Coffee

I love to write in coffee shops. I've both done some of my best work and tanked miserably in such places. Yesterday, I eeked out one good paragraph before the muse decided to leave me, possibly in favor of the pastry counter.

But while I sat there in back of the coffee shop, I eavesdropped on two separate conversations. In Conversation "A" a twenty-something guy was talking to a twenty-something woman about creatures from the Book of Revelation. In Conversation "B" two women in their mid-40's began by talking (apparently) about work. Both conversations strayed at times and, since they were going on simulaneously within a few feet of each other, I missed several words here and there. What follows is as closely as I could put it down.

A: If you do your part, you've saved your soul.

B: Part of my job is to sometimes say things people don't want to hear.

A: You don't get any second chances.

B: They just need to continue the process.

A: Satan has a lot of power.

B: I'll be doing this for another twenty years.

A: It's possible that what he's saying is impossible to describe.

B: He was very well liked in school.

A: When they see a vision, they try to write it down in terms we can understand.

B: No matter where we go, somebody finds out.

A: My guess is when he sees these creatures, that's the best way he can express it.

B: I'm coming at this from a different perspective.

A: This is much more realistic. He can make himself phase out, to cause his body to synchronize ___________. There's space between molecules, so there's a phasing out and a phasing in.

B: I feel very strangely that this isn't neurologically based.

1 comment:

John said...

Your muse didn't desert you. She just went quiet so you could hear that conversation between conversations.