Friday, November 02, 2007

October Books Bought

BOOKS BOUGHT



American Movie Critics: From the Silents Until Now (NF 2006) - Philip Lopate

I saw this title on the Library of America website (always a dangerous place to hang out) and couldn't resist the half-price sale. At 825 pages, there's plenty here to keep me busy for awhile.




Hurt: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers (NF 2004) - Chap Clark







Youth Culture 101 (NF 2007) - Walt Mueller


I bought Hurt and Youth Culture 101 at a youth culture conference a few weeks back. Both books were recommended to me by my friend Trip and I figured both would help me get reacquainted with what I've missed not teaching teenagers for the past seven years. (So far, both are excellent resources.)





The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories (2007) - Connie Willis


An enormous book collecting many (but not all) of Willis's stories. I couldn't pass it up.





Generation Loss (2007) - Elizabeth Hand

I've been very impressed with Hand's short fiction, so when I saw this SIGNED copy at Capclave, it was a no-brainer.





The Arrival (2007*) - Shaun Tan


You may find this in the children's section or maybe with the graphic novels. It's actually a wordless graphic novel in hardcover. It's also one of the most imaginative, stunningly beautiful books I've run across this year. Don't miss it. (I was fortunate enough to find a signed copy.)





The Best American Short Stories 2007 - Stephen King, editor

I imagine (and hope) that many people will pick up this book just because Stephen King's name's on it. (That's not why I picked it up; I like the series.) They'll probably be exposed to some great stories they wouldn't have contacted otherwise. There's been a lot of discussion lately about the state of the short story, but I'm ready to put all of that aside and just read the stories.


The New Bread Loaf Anthology of Contemporary American Poetry (1999) - Michael Collier, Stanley Plumly, eds.

I could've sworn there's a yearly poetry book in the Best American series (mentioned above), but apparently there's not. One of the students in my writing forum wants to take a look at more poetry (plus I need to read more of it), so I thought this might be a good volume to read.





War and Peace (1865-69/2007) - Leo Tolstoy, translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky


I really wasn't going to buy this, not in hardcover. But I found it at Daedalus for 30% off AND it was signed! (By the translators, not Tolstoy. That would be...well, a little hard to pull off.)


That's it for how I spent my money in October. Next time what I actually read.


* I think the original Australian edition came out in 2006.

2 comments:

John said...

There is a Best American Poetry series, but it's published by Scribner, not Houghton Mifflin (purveyors of the other Best American books). I haven't seen the new edition, but Billy Collins edited 2006 and it was great.

Andy Wolverton said...

I'll have to seek it out. I wonder if HM has tried a "hostile takeover" of the American poetry world. Hey, that might make a good story...