Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dirda on Books





Lately I've discovered the wonderful and very addictive live online discussion of books by Washington Post writer Michael Dirda, only to find that the discussion ended on October 1, 2008. But never fear, the Post will launch another book discussion group soon. You can check out the above link for information on the new group and access archives of the past nine years of book discussions.

I've purchased two of Dirda's books, Bound to Please and Classics for Pleasure, both of which are delightful ways to pass the time when you feel like taking a break from the novel or short story collection you're reading.

I should point out that there are two huge problems with reading Dirda:

1. Like his online book discussion, his essays and reviews of books are highly addictive.

2. Your list of "Books to Buy" will increase by leaps and bounds. Be warned.

Dirda has the amazing ability to not only display a ferocious excitement for books, but to also infect you with the same level of excitement. The other night I was reading Dirda's review of The Letters of Gustave Flaubert, 1830-1857 (1980), selected, edited and translated from the French by Francis Steegmuller. Blast Dirda. I've never read any Flaubert, Madame Bovary or otherwise, yet after reading Dirda's review, I must read both the novel and Steegmuller's volume.

Every bit of both Bound to Please and Classics for Pleasure is like that. Both need to go on my "Banned Books" list immediately.

Dirda has been writing about books for a long time, but unlike most other book critics, you can tell he still gets excited about reading. And when you read Dirda, you can't help but get excited too. Plus the guy is a champion of quality speculative literature. Bound to Please includes a nice Science Fiction Reading List. You can sometimes find Dirda at the local sf/fantasy con Capclave, or if you don't get out much (like me), check out his work in The Washington Post Book World in print every Sunday and online. Enjoy, but don't blame me when the books start piling up.

4 comments:

John said...

Dirda turned me on to Jonathan Edwards, of all people. I remembered with distaste "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" from freshman English in high school, but Dirda helped reframe Edwards for me. "Sinners" still dismays me, but the writing is exquisite.

Andy Wolverton said...

"Sinners" is a great work, but probably not the best introduction to Edwards (especially for hormone-raging teenagers), a truly great thinker and writer.

agent mule said...

I miss Dirda's discussions having been a loyal follower for the whole 8 years. His book are indeed fab but the lag time is killing me nevertheless.

thanks for the thoughtful post

Andy Wolverton said...

Thanks, Agent Mule. I got an email from Elizabeth at the Post saying that the new group would be up and running sometime next week. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the archives.