Sunday, May 03, 2009

Books Read April

Not a bad month of reading. A few disappointments, a few surprises. Here we go.....


Ubik (1969) - Philip K. Dick

This is the book I most want to re-read from this month's list. Trying to describe it would be an exercise in futility, but if you've read Philip K. Dick, you know what you're getting into: an examination of what is or isn't reality, confused perceptions, drugs and more. Ubik can be confusing, thus demanding (at least) a second read.


Hooked: New Science on How Casual Sex is Affecting Our Children (NF 2008) - Joe S. McIlhaney, Jr., MD and Freda McKissic Bush, MD

A fascinating look at new scientific evidence of what happens in the brain during and after sex. It seems that pregnancy and STDs aren't the only dangers involved in casual sex. A short book, a bit on the technical side, but fascinating.


Mr. Gaunt and Other Uneasy Encounters (2008) - John Langan

Langan likes his stories long (only five stories in the entire collection) and often in the "Old School" M.R. James vein. I was captivated by the first two stories (which are somewhat in homage to James), but not as taken with the remaining ones. Still a very good collection.


The Manual of Detection (2009) - Jedediah Berry

I think this one deserves another shot. I listened to it on audio, which in this case, may be a mistake. I'll bet I listened to the first couple of chapters at least four times, trying to decide whether the novel was a hard-boiled detective story, a spoof, a pastiche, an allegory... Plenty of people I highly respect seem to really like it, so I probably should give it another shot. In print.


Talent is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else (NF 2008) - Colvin Geoff

Something of a companion piece to Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers, but going into more depth. Geoff takes more of a business slant than Gladwell, but offers some fascinating food for thought in the study of just what makes people successful.


Castle (2009) - J. Robert Lennon

The most powerful book I read in April. Since reading it, I've seen many negative reviews. Ignore them. Eric Loesch buys a large piece of land in his upper New York state hometown. He wonders if the locals remember him, as their welcomes seem not-so-welcome. Loesch discovers one small part of his land that is actually owned by someone else, yet the owner's name is blackened out on all the legal documents. An extremely potent look at power, memory, culture and the 21st century world we live in. Highly recommended.


Feathers (J-Fic 2007) - Jacqueline Woodson

Although I really enjoyed hearing Woodson speak (and read from this book) at a recent library conference, Feathers never quite came together into a coherent whole for me.


Knots and Crosses (1987) - Ian Rankin

My first experience with Rankin and his Scottish detective John Rebus. Good, solid (if somewhat dark) detective fiction.


My Teacher is an Alien (J-Fic 1989) - Bruce Coville

I know, I said I was going to lay off J and Y fiction for awhile and here I am with two of them in one month. But I'll justify it by stating that I'm always looking for good reluctant reader books for boys and this one will probably satisfy most 8-12-year-old guys.


An Open Book: Coming of Age in the Heartland (NF 2003) - Michael Dirda

I love anything by Dirda and this autobiography with books was both highly readable and highly entertaining. Any booklover will enjoy it.

No comments: