Thursday, June 04, 2009

Books Read May

Not so many books read in May, but this was also the month I started my Great Short Story Collections Purge. Anyway, that's my excuse. So here's what I read in May:



The Grifters (1963) - Jim Thompson

I've already blabbed about The Grifters here.



The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization (J-Fic 2007) - Daniel Pinkwater

I'd never read any of Pinkwater's books before, but when I posted on Facebook that I was looking for something humorous to listen to during my (then) 9-mile run, my friend Dana recommended "Anything by Daniel Pinkwater." Her advice was spot on. The Neddiad (yes, a take-off on The Iliad) is a fun, adventure-filled romp full of history and cliffhanger-style storytelling. And humor.



Mystery and Manners: Occasional Prose (NF 1969) - Flannery O'Connor

I continue to be in awe of Flannery O'Connor. I've never known anyone to write as intelligently and passionately about fiction and Christianity. This book of essays is priceless, one I hope to reread annually.



The House with a Clock in Its Walls (J-Fic 1973) - John Bellairs

I first read this years ago (but still as an adult...I guess...) and decided to revisit it. While it didn't hold the same charm this time around, it's still a good tale with some genuine creepiness.



Private Midnight (2009) - Kris Saknussemm

Many readers have said that Private Midnight is hands-down the weirdest book they've ever read. I'd have to say that Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves still holds the top spot on my weirdest book list, but Saknussemm's novel is definitely near the top.

Private Midnight is a mixture of detective noir, David Lynch, supernatural horror, psychological games, mythology, sexuality and way, way more. Disturbing? Yes. Also very hard to put down.



Making Movies (NF 1995) - Sidney Lumet

Reading Lumet's Making Movies is like sitting at the feet of the master. If you've ever wondered about just what goes into making a film, look no further. A real gem for film lovers.



Hide and Seek (1990) - Ian Rankin

The second entry in Rankin's Detective John Rebus series is probably better written than the first book Knots & Crosses, but not quite as enjoyable, at least to me. Still a good detective novel. I plan to continue the series in June with Tooth & Nail.

That's it for May. Why don't you tell me what you read last month?

No comments: