Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Great Short-Story Collection Purge, Part 9



Patterns (1989) - Pat Cadigan

I bought this trade paperback collection for a buck at Daedalus Books several years ago. Since then, I've handled the book, flipped through it, considered the "Locus Award-Winning Collection" announcement on its cover, and wondered whether to read it or toss it unread. It is, after all, a collection that's now 20 years old. Add to the fact that everyone seems to refer to these stories as pre-Cyberpunk (whatever that means) and the technology in them is now as ancient as your VCR, you might think it needs to go into the donations pile.

Big mistake.

I read the title story and after the first short paragraph, I thought I knew where it was going:

I have this continuing fantasy of assassinating the President. Any President.

I was wrong. Not only was I wrong, I was entertained and made to think.

Then I read "Vengeance Is Yours." From the opening in a bar with a woman ordering a drink that doesn't even exist, I was captivated. I didn't know where Cadigan was taking me, but I was pulled in. After the first couple of pages, I again thought I knew where we were going, but was wrong. Pleasantly wrong. Everything about this story worked for me: character, atmosphere, description, tone, surprise and wonder.

Why did I wait so long to pick up this collection?

The Verdict = Keep It.

Next: Ghosts of Yesterday - Jack Cady

No comments: