Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Great Short-Story Collection Purge, Part 8



From These Ashes: The Complete Short SF of Fredric Brown

Brown is one of the few writers comfortable in writing both science fiction and mystery fiction. His works are filled with wit, satire, absurdity and fun. I'd read several of these stories long ago and took another look at a few of them yesterday. Understand that these stories were penned between 1941 and 1965. I know this makes me a Philistine, but other than Theodore Sturgeon, I just don't read much from that period in sf anymore. (Fantasy, yes; horror, yes; sf, no.) I enjoyed the stories I read, but quickly realized this is not a volume I'll sit down and read straight through. Still, there are some great stories here. On the other hand, the volume takes up at lot of shelf space at nearly 700 pages. Hmmmm....

The Verdict = I'll keep it for now.

Next: Patterns - Pat Cadigan

No comments: