Monday, December 22, 2008

Low Numbers? Then Step Up Production!

This was a tough year in a lot of ways. A new job, a pretty intense volunteer position at church, taking care of my mom, lots of stuff. But that doesn't excuse my not writing more and sending more stories out. I only sent out ten stories in 2008. Yes, I was (and still am) revising a YA novel, which probably contributed to my low output, but the output numbers are going to change in 2009.

On the positive side, I read an awful lot this year. Consequently, I've got a better idea of what good writing is all about, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm still at about a first or second grade level as a writer (third grade on a good day). But things are looking up:

I just got a rejection letter from Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine. That's not unusual, but this is the first time I've ever received a handwritten comment from one of their editors. It was simply, "We enjoyed (title of story)." That's never happened before. So they didn't enjoy it enough to buy it, obviously, but that little sentence makes a huge difference. It means I'm getting closer.

Another positive: In revising my YA novel, I'm noticing a lot of bad writing. I mean really bad writing. Being able to recognize it as bad writing and making an attempt to push it into the zone of good writing is a step forward.

These may not seem like positives, but I'm taking them as such. You have to take them where you find them. And right now I have four stories out there in the pipeline. (One of which I just finished this morning.)

So here's to more writing in 2009. I've got a feeling that fourth grade level might be just around the corner.

No comments: