Tuesday, December 23, 2008

No Movies for You

Although 2008 looks to be an all-time high in books read (should reach 120), it's an all-time low in movies watched. I only saw 37 films this year in any format: in the theatres, on DVD, on TV, anywhere. Five of those were movies I'd seen before. I went to movie theaters five times, two of those times to see documentaries.

I know about a lot of movies in release, I read about them, I just don't go. I'd like to see more films in theatres in 2009 and the films are certainly out there. Well, sometimes they're out there....

I like to try to see as many of the Oscar-nominated films as possible, so I'll probably focus most of January on that.

Here's what I saw this year that I liked. Keep in mind, though, that I only saw 37 films!

BEST FILM IN THEATRES
The Dark Knight (2008)

BEST FILM WATCHED AT HOME
Magnolia (1999)

BEST FOREIGN FILM
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring (2003)

BEST DOCUMENTARY
No End in Sight: Iraq’s Descent into Chaos (2007)

BEST MOVIE I DIDN'T THINK I'D LIKE, BUT DID
What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (1993)

BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME, BUT AT LEAST IT WAS ONLY 84 MINUTES
Cloverfield (2007)

BEST "I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE THINKS THIS MOVIE IS SO GREAT" MOVIE
Once (2007)

BEST GUILTY PLEASURE
Run Fatboy Run (2007)

WORST TV
24 Season Six

BEST TV
Battlestar Galactica Season Three

BEST "THIS WASN'T AT ALL WHAT I WAS EXPECTING" MOVIE
Punch-Drunk Love (2003)

MOST LIKELY TO WATCH AGAIN SOON
The Visitor (2007)

So.... Tell me what I missed that I should have seen. (And don't you dare say Twilight!)

4 comments:

John said...

Wall-E. It is as good as everyone says. If animated movies had not been ghettoized in their own Oscar category this would be a lock (and might just be anyway) for a Best Picture nomination.

Andy Wolverton said...

I'll definitely add it to the Must-See list.

Andy Wolverton said...

That's on my list also. My brother-in-law has it, so I hope to borrow it soon.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Dark Knight was amazing. But a part of me still loves Iron Man as my favorite Superhero movie ever!

Also, it's still 2008. A bit early to recount the year's movies and books. counting today, there are still five days left in 2008!